Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerzone4

Tree peony questions

gardenerzone4
13 years ago

Hi, I'd like to plant 8 tree peonies this coming fall and have been doing research. Some questions:

1. What's the difference b/t the Chinese/Japanese tree peonies and western cultivars (by Daphnis etc.)? Is bloom time different? Are growth habits different?

2. I keep reading about lutea hybrids. What other types of hybrids exist in tree peonies, and how do they differ? What is "SUFFRUTICOSA"?

3. Some online sellers indicate that they offer grafted tree peony plants. Which is better, grafted or own root? Which vendors sell own root tree peonies?

4. My dad has 2 Chinese tree peonies that are 20 years old each. I'd like to obtain divisions from those to start my collection. How does he obtain divisions for me? Is there a way to do this without digging up the whole peony shrub? I'd like to disrupt the mother plant as little as possible, since it took them 20 years to get to 4' high.

5. Thankfully, my dad's peonies are own root. But how would you divide a grafted tree peony?

6. The location I've identified for my 8 peonies is a sheltered strip along the base of a retaining wall, in an alcove that faces east. This spot gets 4-5 hours of morning sun only. Is this a good spot?

7. Can I underplant my tree peonies with tulips to start, since the peonies will be so slow to fill out?

Thanks for your expertise,

gardenerzone4

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor