Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I wait?

Posted by hlollar 5 CO (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 7:38

Hello all. I'm just starting to look at the lovely plants that are peonies and received a phone call from a friend that ordered three of them and received 6 in the mail. She called the company that shipped them, and they told her that they wouldn't survive shipment back, so she offered to give me one.
I didn't ask a lot of questions when she offered it (all I heard was FREE PLANT!!) I know it's a tree peony...and it's purple. Everywhere I've looked online it says to plant in the fall for better plants the next year. If this is the case, can I store the plant until this fall? Where? How? I'm guessing it's bare root since it was shipped, but am not sure, and I don't know if this makes a difference. I don't want the plant to die before the fall, but don't want the plant to die in the ground if I'm planting at the wrong time.

Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I wait?

Plant it NOW; don't wait til fall. Hopefully the vendor has sent planting instructions.

o

If the vendor did not send planting instructions please plant with the graft and part of the stem under the surface of the dirt. Most tree peonies are grafted plants. To insure the grafted plant(the part that you want to grow) sends out it's own roots part of the stem must be below ground. Some people actually bury with only the tip showing. I only do this if the grafted stem is very short.

A word of advice I find with many of the grafted peonies the stem that is grafted will die this winter. However if I leave the plant alone a new stem may come up not next spring but the following spring. So patience is the word. I find this is most often true with the tree peonies that are imported directly from China. The stem dying may happen several years in a row but once the plant has established itself the resulting plant is quite vigorus. This is from my experience in my area and may not be the same for everyone.

o

With herbaceous peonies one should always plant them in the fall, but with tree peonies, I personally, have better luck if I do plant them in the spring. Just remember when planting tree peonies you need to plant them much deeper than herbaceous peonies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here