Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westhighlandblue

The budless stow-a-way

westhighlandblue
18 years ago

I had my DH take a chain saw to five really awful arborvitea that sat like sentinals across the front of our house. Under one such monster I found a few peony eyes.

Our house is very old and the monsters were very large, which leads me to believe that the little stow-a-way must have been planted years ago when the arborvitea were small. But was overtaken in the shade of the monster.

As luck would have it, last fall, I planted three fairly established peonies -- I had kept in pots for years -- in the same bed, several feet to the West of the stow-a-way. So I put a hoop around the little stow-a-way and waited to see what would happen.

My other peonies have buds, but the little stow-a-way does not. The other peonies do get significantly more sun (there is a 80 year old Maple, in a side yard, that casts shade on that more Eastern end of the front yard).

So what do you think I should do? I am tempted to leave the stow-a-way in place for another year and see what happens. But I could always move her to a more Western location, if you all think she's doomed to a life without blooms because she's in too shady a location.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio