Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The budless stow-a-way

Posted by westhighlandblue z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 26, 06 at 9:14

I had my DH take a chain saw to five really awful arborvitea that sat like sentinals across the front of our house. Under one such monster I found a few peony eyes.

Our house is very old and the monsters were very large, which leads me to believe that the little stow-a-way must have been planted years ago when the arborvitea were small. But was overtaken in the shade of the monster.

As luck would have it, last fall, I planted three fairly established peonies -- I had kept in pots for years -- in the same bed, several feet to the West of the stow-a-way. So I put a hoop around the little stow-a-way and waited to see what would happen.

My other peonies have buds, but the little stow-a-way does not. The other peonies do get significantly more sun (there is a 80 year old Maple, in a side yard, that casts shade on that more Eastern end of the front yard).

So what do you think I should do? I am tempted to leave the stow-a-way in place for another year and see what happens. But I could always move her to a more Western location, if you all think she's doomed to a life without blooms because she's in too shady a location.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The budless stow-a-way

Awww.... I'm imagining the poor neglected thing. :-)

It could be that the "stowaway" has sunk too deep over the years to do much of anything. You might be able to lift the rhizome(s) up to no more than 2" below the soil level and see what happens with it next year. Otherwise, you could attempt to dig it up (it will probably have a massive root system) and move it. You can do that in the fall.

o

You may be onto something.

The beds have way too much arborvitea mulch turned topsoil in them. I cleared away arborvitea mulch, fully 4 inches deep, from the inside of the azaelas in the opposite bed. In the stow-a-way's bed the topsoil literally washes over the narrow cement walk in front of it and into the grassy area on the other side of the walk when it rains.

How should I lift the rhizome(s) up to no more than 2" below the soil level? Should I accomplish this by taking a soft paint brush, and brush away the soil in between the stems of the plant? (We have lots of very good, very soft paint brushes at our house.)

o

Since it has sprouted, you could scrape away the soil that has covered the rhizome (don't necessarily need a paintbrush but could use a spoon or small trowel). Then in the fall, consider actually getting a pitchfork or shovel, go down deep along the side of where the sprouts were, and then attempt to heave it up so it is sitting a bit higher than it is now. Some roots will break but it would have time to grow some new ones before the dead of winter. You won't need any mulch around it.

o

Will do. Thank you very much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here