Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know if peony cuttings will root?

Posted by sgalvez OH (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 29, 06 at 9:50

Hi,

I have a peony plant in our front bed -- something (or someone) must have walked on it, because I found 3-4 stems snapped off and lying on the ground about 2 weeks ago.

The plant had just started to grow -- and I wasn't sure if the stems would root so I put them in a cup of water to see what would happen. Two weeks later, all of the stems still look strong and healthy and the end of each "root" is starting to get a little fuzzy.

Does anyone know if peony cuttings will root like this? Or, will they just eventually just die off? Very curious -would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

Suzanne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know if peony cuttings will root?

I would say no, the pieces in water will die, not develop roots. I only know of herbaceous Peonies, the tuberous roots, to grow from divisions of the roots.

Tree Peonies I think are all cuttings that are grafted or rooted. They are woody stemmed all year though, not just a root in winter. Stems do not die back on these Tree Peonies during winter.

o
RE: Does anyone know if peony cuttings will root?

People do grow tps from cuttings. There are references to it in most books dealing with propagation of tree peonies mention it. On page 28 of the Chinese Tree Peony by the Peony Association of China it mentions cuttings but the cuttings are done in September. There is some studies on grafting of spring wood but I do not know of anyone that has successfully grown any from cuttings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here