Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caseygrow

My peony was mowed down! Will it make it?

caseygrow
16 years ago

The subject pretty much speaks for itself. I asked my lawn guys not to come for another week, hoping to take some time to mark all my plants, but they surprised me this morning with the roar of the mowers. The first place they mowed had a peony that was just about 11 inches tall with 3 shoots. They're all now 3". This is my first year growing peonies and just put these in last fall. This particular plant was the best looking of the bunch so far.

So- please tell me this peony will come back! I wasn't expecting it to bloom this year because I hear they don't until the 2nd year...

Thanks guys,

Casey

Comments (11)

• Nancy
    16 years ago

It'll be fine :) I had a peony I bought from one of those box stores & planted it in a bed. My husband decided we should paper & mulch that area, then plant in iris. I forgot all about that little peony & no sign of it that year. Next spring there it was. I tried to dig it out to plant it elsewhere, but of course, the iris was right there. I didn't get enough of the root to start. Next spring, lo & behold, there it was again, apparently the root was still there. I transplanted it successfully that time. I think it took 3 years for it to bloom, but it made it :)

• jqpublic
    16 years ago

It will come back (not guaranteed to come back this year). Most have latent buds though so it could resprout, but it might not send them up. Was it growing in the lawn? Perhaps better borders (just in case) for next time??

• caseygrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

In response to the border comment... it was next to a utility pole at the very edge of my property. I learned my lesson, edged it's area with some rocks, and turned a hanging basket cage upside-down on top of it (maybe not necessary, but makes the point.) I had another that was better mulched near a fence that I also bordered with rocks. At least when the guys mow next time they'll stop and think about whether they want to run over those rocks...

• scarlett6
    16 years ago

I am in an area where they are not really noted to grow well, due to heat. Sooo, I was determined to try and grow some and planted 5 of these. They grew, did not bloom and my lawn guy came along and zonked all of them. I thought, well that is that. I was shocked to see all of them come up last spring, although I didn't get many blooms... They got mowed down again!!! There they were again this year and they are blooming better this year. I guess they are as determined as I am...

Good luck,
    Cathie

• jeannie7
    16 years ago

Casey, I think you have been forewarned not to expect your plant to do much this year....the lawn guys have done you wrong....so be sure to let them know it.

Now you've taken steps to protect the 3 incher.
    Hopefully you haven't put soil over them....that is, you haven't topdressed them in your attempt to further protect them. Doing so, puts them deeper....and doing that might just cause them to never bloom.
    So, yes the rocks might clue the guys with the machine in to wonder why they're there...but do pay attention to the plant's depth of planting.

• rhonda4357
    16 years ago

Hi all,
    The neighbor's large dogs got loose last week and trampled through my bed of peonies. I have a white, a red, a yellow and a pink. The yellow one has been very slow to get going (I've been babying it along for 2 years now.) It had finally taken off and was almost as big as the other ones until the dogs had their way with it. They also knocked over the pink but it seems to be rallying. The poor little yellow one was bent over, I tried to support it back up the best I could, but now it's completely brown and crispy, nothing coming back up to indicate it might try to re-grow. Reckon it might come back up next year? Or should I buy another one and get it planted this spring to hopefully get blooms sooner?

• mjq77
    16 years ago

Sorry to "jump" this thread, but my question is similar.There was a very large peony in the path of some digging, I ask, and quickly moved the peony.Now, should I plant it where it will go(perminately), do I cut the folage down, can I remove just the buds, I have never had to move one this time of the Yr.Any help please.Mike

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Duck for another hijack...

How many consecutive years can you mow a peony down before it refuses to come back?

A very long time ago I tried to 'fix' a row of peonies, only to have them hate me. I didn't know then that they might just be boycotting, and were not entirely gonners.

Since then, the area has been mowed every year because we, in our infinite ignorance of peonies, didn't know to even look for them.

They were heirlooms, planted at least 50 years ago.

Thoughts?

• aggiegrad
    16 years ago

if the roots are still there, they will be back. but, after all this time, that might be doubtful. my parents moved into my uncle's home years ago. every spring, after they bloomed, my dad would mow down my aunt's peonies. they would come back bigger & better the next year. of course he always waited till after bloom. if he had did it before, I'm sure there would have been quite an argument between my parents. since peonies were always one of mom's favorites. which reminds me, I should go past the house one of these days to see if they are still there. that house has been sold 3 times since then. in a week or 2 go take a good look at the ground where you think the peony is, & see if you see any shoots coming up. as long as the root is there, they will be back. good luck.

• blue_velvet_elvis
    16 years ago

We always mow ours down after they're done blooming. They come back fine the next year. Many graveyards around here have peonies planted that are mowed off after Memorial Day weekend.