Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peach82_gw

Old peonies that never bloom!

Peach82
9 years ago

My grandparents always had peonies in their yard. They had custody of me and my younger sis since we were 5 and 3, respectively. She passed away shortly after they got custody so my grandfather raised us until we were adults. (Sorry...may seem irrelevant but I brag on him all the time raising us 2 girls alone.) Anyways, he passed away a little over a year ago and I bought his house, which is where I grew up. The peonies are still here...pink and white. There is only one red but it has only bloomed once....the year my grandmother passed away, in 1988! (Yes, the other plants are this old too!) We have moved this plant everywhere and it will NOT bloom. It's growing and leaves out but no blooms. I have moved the plant to a more sunny spot so I'm praying it will bloom! Any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• cherry67
    9 years ago

I have only been growing peonies for a few years and all of mine are pretty immature, but one has bloomed the last few years. Everything I've read about them basically says that you need to make sure they are in well drained soil - I've had problems with this in the past so I've started mounding the roots when I plant. They need about 6 hours of sun at least to do their best and it's a good idea to mix in some compost when planting and fertilize them with either compost or bulb fertilizer in the spring. Oh and I almost forgot, make sure the top of the eyes have no more than 2 inches of soil on top of them when you replant. Preferably only 1 inch if you live in the south where it gets pretty hot and beware of using too much mulch cause that's almost as bad as having too much soil on top. Hope that helps and good luck!

This post was edited by cherry67 on Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 13:45

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

What zone are you in, Peach? Do your peonies get at least 30 days of freezing or below temps? How big was the root on the red peony when you replanted it? If you're pretty far south there are a few herbaceous peonies that forum members say bloom reliably, have seen S. Bernhardt and Festiva Maxima mentioned, pink and white respectively. If it is a zone thing your red might not bloom unless you have a severe winter.
    If that's the problem you might want to concentrate on tree peonies and Itohs if you want to add to your collection. Also, here's a link to a Southern Peony Blog, she might be able to give more advice. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Peony Blog

• TulsaRose
    9 years ago

Peach, where are you located? Established Peonies do not like to be disturbed and transplanting them can set back blooming for a year or two. They need to get settled in a new spot.

There is some excellent growing \ care information at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Old Farmer's Almanac

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

If they are planted or sunk too deep, the peonies may have trouble flowering. You should scrape away the soil to see how deep the eyes are buried. Like cherry67 wrote, the eyes should be no more than 2 inches deep.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

And if you're zone 7 or higher the eyes should barely be covered!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert but have good luck growing peonies in my zone 5, Ontario Canada.

The things I've learned are pretty basic.
    1. Never plant eyes deeper than 1 1/2-2"
    2. Always transplant in the fall, even if you divided much earlier***
    3. You can plant a newly purchased potted peony anytime during the growing season...don't have to wait till fall
    4. If you transplant in spring you risk no flowers that year and the following spring, sometimes up to three years. It varies.
    5. I don't mulch around the peonies - it's not a requirement
    6. I have a 3-yr old Itoh Peony called 'Going Bananas'. (My first Itoh) New had 3 blooms. Year 2 it produced 9 blooms. Year 3 it produced 15! Eager to see how many this year. I want to add Kopper Kettle this year.

***when I moved in 1980 I left behind my mothers peony. Three years ago I got it back ðÂÂÂð it stayed in a box, not that well covered, not watered much but watered until the fall when I planted it in its permanent location. Note: it never bloomed for the new owner in all those years. The first spring in my garden it gave me 1 flower. The following year 6. After that I lost count... It's amazing.

I actually know the name of one...'Plena'. Also have pink, all white, and deep red, almost magenta in colour. I never fertilize them or any of my perennials. If I did I'd have to move out because there would be no room!

I hope some of what I've said will be useful to you. I would like your peonies to bring you the same joy mine give me.

Luck!

Jo

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

I should also have offered a suggestion to your question. If it were me at your place, I would dig up those that don't flower, put them in pots or boxes .. I just left mine on side of house....water when they need it, then plant them in the fall. Don't plant too deep.
    I see no reason for them not to bloom next spring. :-)

It must have been hard work digging them up the first time! I divided some ten-year old ones a couple years ago - the tubers were very deep! Yes, they all bloomed the following spring.:-)...they got lots of water very early on in the spring as they are now growing in all day sun.

Jo

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

I have 3 peonies that REALLY need to be moved. I think they may have been in full sun when they were planted. Now however many years later, they are under trees. I don't think they bloomed last year. I'm debating moving them this spring instead of waiting until fall. I don't expect them to bloom either way. It was on my list to do last fall but just didn't get done. Is this a 6 of one, half dozen of another decision?

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

I think it would be best to wait until fall to divide and move them. In the meantime, you can amend the soil of the locations that you wish to plant them so that when fall comes around, the bed is ready for the freshly dug roots. When I say amend the soil, I mean adding compost, sand, or stone dust to make the soil well drained.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    9 years ago

Yes, you are right and working up the new space needs to be done regardless. And if the spot is ready, I am more likely to dig them up even if it's a cold crappy day knowing putting them back in a hole isn't going to be a day long project.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living