Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Peony Dying? Please Help.

Posted by ecardena 4b MN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 11:56

I have a Hanakisoi tree peony that's been in my garden for about 12 years. It's gorgeous. Or it was. It's about 6 feet wide by 5 feet tall. New growth is just starting to come out on the lower part of the plant, and some growth is about 3-4 inches long. But, all of the tiny leaf buds that set themselves last fall are basically mush. There is no sign of growth from the tips of the branches to about 3 feet down the stems. It's definitely not just a case of being slow to leaf out this year either. What could possibly be wrong, and what should I do?? This has never happened before, and this winter wasn't harsher than others, and I protected the peony the same way I have in all previous years. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Peony Dying? Please Help.

Could it be grey mold? Has it been wet and rainy? Google gray mold and see what you can find out.

o

I thought maybe gray mold/botrytis, but our spring has been pretty dry actually. The peony gets good air circulation, even though I put leaves around the base in the fall (always have), and remove them early in the spring. The growth that is coming out looks great--looks like it should/normally does. I'm just at a loss--literally the whole 2/3rds of the top of the plant seems dead. Any other ideas? Thanks!

o

Look for holes along the stems. Early for them but sometimes insects will bore into the stems causing damage. It does sound more like a fungus that insect damage. If no holes found send an email to Rick Rogers of Brothers Tree Peonies to see what he suggests.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brothers

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to post a followup in case anyone else has this problem. I did contact Rick, and he was really helpful. Sounds as if our freeze-thaw cycle this spring may have killed the buds on the upper part of the plant.

o

Rick is great with answers. Even better if he does not know he will tell you that he does not know something.

o

Rick really is helpful. To followup again, I did some hard pruning yesterday and discovered some kind of borers and larvae! Makes me really angry. So, I'll be applying systemic and hope that it comes back. My poor peony--it was so gorgeous.

o

If nothing else it should send some shoots up from the bottom. Just make certain that they are similar to the tp foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here