Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Growth on Tree Peony

Posted by christine_zone5 zone 5 MI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 12:18

I have 2 tree Peonies, and they are putting out new leaves from their stems/trunks. However, I noticed that new growth is also sprouting out of the ground, near the plants. Should I remove these ground sprouts now? I thought I read in the past that the ground sprouts are coming directly from the root (which is a different type of Peony) and they should be removed because they drain the tree peony of its energy.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Growth on Tree Peony

Sometimes the sprouts of the main TP's trunk are emerging out of the ground. Those sprouts look similar to the above ground branches.
The sprouts growing from the herbaceous rootstock look differently and should be removed.

o
RE: New Growth on Tree Peony

Sprout leaves being shaped differently than the TP leaves, is your clue if sprout is herbacous root or a new shoot off the TP itself.

From this group, I learned to plant my TP roots deep, letting the TP grow it's own roots over time and start sending up true shoots to increase the size.

So I usually wait, see what the new shoot looks like as it grows, before removeal or letting it continue to grow. Herbacous Peonies are just a stem, not with side buds for branching out. Leaves are usually coarser, and don't match the TP leaf shapes.

My newest TPs are getting buds, will be their first flowering since planting!! I am excited, they will be like little presents popping open. I think this is the third spring since planting. They were so LITTLE, now ready to flower! They don't seem to be getting up any faster, even with much staring at them, several times a day!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here