Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to fertilize?

Posted by hudvalley z7 VA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 07 at 12:28

my stalks are emerging - about 6 - 10 inches tall. when is a good time to fertilize?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Dividing up a new peony plant,help plse?

Hello everyone!! My hubby has just bought me two beautiful new peony plants. These are the root stalk ones that come in the hanging plastic bags(you can buy from Cdn tire, etc). They both have nice little stalks growing already. Now heres my question, I'm going to pot them up, but when I removed them from the packaging with the soil in them, I noticed alot of "hanging roots", like brown carrots. These are not directly attached to the main plant, as it has its own little knobby root. Can I cut these hanging root nodules and propagate them into new peony bushes? I know they wont bloom this year, that they'd probably just get started, but I would love to do this if I can.
Thanks to everyone for reading.

o
RE: when to fertilize?

Melissa plant the whole thing as is. Those are stored energy to be used by the plant. Hudvalley if your soil has been regularly composted you need no fertilizer. I have about 30 peonies that have never been fertilized but compost is used as a mulch around each plant, NOT on top of the plant, added spring and fall. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here