Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kittens_gw

Some general peony questions

kittens
11 years ago

I think I'm going to end up hitting every GW forum before I get my front yard finished! I love these plant specific nooks. I'm giving my front yard a make-over in zone 5. I'm looking for a street border plant to place in front of a low decorative fence. I want something that will die back so it doesn't get destroyed during snow plowing season. I was thinking hydrangea (for the long time bloom effect) but am also contemplating Peony which might require less pampering. I'm reading they like dry conditions which will alleviate me having to water frequently. The area is in full sun all day and tends to get very dry. Can any northerners comment on if I'm headed for any detrimental problems from the salt used in the winter on the roads?

Can you suggest a couple of companions for all season bloom? I have mostly shades of pink peony that I can use. I have some perennial phlox which is just banging for an extended period in the garden I could move in. Is there a preferred clematis everyone is using? I good drought-tolerant annual for the front of the peonies might be one of my better choices but I'd like some permanency, too. In addition to getting the bed into full-color, I'm going to need a low growing evergreen for winter interest or I'm going to have a dead-bed for the entire winter.

Moving. Should I be doing this very, very soon since I can't wait until the fall?

I've noticed powdery mildew on my peonies. Is that brought on by moisture? Is there a quick spray for this?

And finally, are you guys finding ants a problem? If so, any tips?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments (11)

• Nancy
    11 years ago

My zone is different, so my experiences might not help.
    Peonies of course, need full sun. Most all hydrangea require more water & shadier conditions, at least in my zone they do. Salt-I can't think of any plants that can handle much salt really, but there may be some.
    Since you can't wait til fall, I would dig as soon as possible. I doubt if yours are in bloom, but if they are that far, then you might as well wait til after they bloom & enjoy them. I know everyone says to divide in fall, but I divided mine once right after they finished blooming & divided them. They didn't look good the rest of that year, but they did bloom the following spring. That was before I had a clue how to divide peonies.
    Ants shouldn't be a problem. I have found them on mine, I think they are just attracted to the sweet pollen, but just natural.
    I think clematis & phlox would be quite pretty, you should have a lovely new garden-if the salt doesn't prove a problem.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

The only hydrangea that can take full sun are the paniculatas. Most people are referring to the macrophyllas when they talk about hydrangeas--and macrophyllas must have part shade. The paniculatas are gorgeous if you want to go that route, but they are much too large for the space you describe--at least all the ones I know are. They bloom later in the summer than the shade-loving macrophyllas do.

Peonies certainly don't like to be in soggy wet conditions, but I'm not sure they especially "like" dry conditions. They are tough, long-lived plants that tough it through a number of "difficult" growing conditions, but like any plant, they probably thrive and bloom better if they are treated better--which would include occasional moisture.

You are aware that most peonies grow 2.5-3 ft fall and wide (or thereabouts), aren't you? I ask because you mentioned planting them in front of a small fence. I was having a bit of trouble visualizing that. Just warning you in case . . . : )

Put a couple mums in there for autumn bloom. That's what I do, anyway.

Good luck with your plans--half the fun of gardening.

Kate

• kittens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the height of the peonies are just what I'm looking for. I'm thinking about putting in a rail-type fence and want a hedge in front of it. I'm really leaning toward the peony now but would have to see how they do up against the salt. The hydrangea folks gave me a couple of suggestions for paniculatas to look up, too. I have some small peony already and they are just starting to poke up. I don't think they bloom until mid to late may if memory serves me correctly. It looks like I'll have enough plants to make a hedge right now.

I will water but I don't think these will look as droopy as a hydrangea if I get a tad behind.

I just read a little about powdery mildew - it's a fungus. It seemed to me it was caused by heavy rain but apparently the fungus thrives more in moisture so it was a combination of the two. There were a couple of good recipes with baking soda and water or baking soda with horticulture oil. Does the fungus die over the winter with the foliage or is it certain to come back with new growth? I wouldn't want nasty grey plants in the front yard. I could start spraying them now, as they are growing if I need to. It was recommended to spray every 10-14 days. Is that something that would have to be done all season??

• kittens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found my answer here to the powdery mildew when I searched. It said you have to spray for 3 10-day cycles. And, as long as my soil didn't get contaminated, the fungus went away with the dead foliage. I just checked them and didn't see any signs of mildew. It been unseasonably warm this winter and I see lots of buds swelling already. Better wait if I plan on moving them so I don't miss the flowers!

• freki
    11 years ago

one annual you may like is caledula.. tough & self-seeding, so you only need to plant them once. They bloom all summer & often into fall.

Somewhat short, but tough, are the sea thrifts.. as their name suggests they have a good salt tolerance.

Chrysanthemum are photoperiodic, so if they are too close to a streetlight they won't bloom.

• jeanne
    11 years ago

My peonies line the front of my yard, perhaps 8-10 feet from the street which is kept very well by the township. They've endured salt for years and just keep getting bigger. I think as long as you plant far enough back for pedestrian traffic you should be okay.
    I grow Walker's Low catmint in front of the peonies, it gets cut back after the first flush but otherwise seems to bloom nonstop. It might not be the most dazzling plant but it does seem to pair particularly well with peonies...

Jeanne

• kittens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great suggestions, everybody! That's a very interesting tidbit about Chrysanthemum, freki. It looks like your peonies are doing awesome, Jeanne! Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to give these a try. I have some catmint; I like that pairing. It does have a long bloom time. It self seeds like crazy for me, too if I don't give it a haircut.

• irawon
    11 years ago

Kittens

Re the powdery mildew I use sulpher on any plants with powdery mildew or black spots. I use it diluted in water on the actual plant. Soak the upper foliage and as much of the undersides as possible. If it rains shortly thereafter repeat the process. You can actually see the mildew drip away. In the fall I clear all dead foliage and sprinkle the sulpher powder directly on the ground as the powdery mildew spores can overwinter. If I forget to treat the ground in fall I do this in early spring. My summer phlox which are very prone to mildew always look great all summer. In a pinch if I'm out of sulpher I use baking soda diluted in water. Never use the baking soda in powder form as you will kill your plants. i speak from experience.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Jeanne in Ohio...please tell me you know the name/variety of the two peonies you showed in your picture. The last picture looks like the peony that the previous owners left me and I love that first one. Is it a Sarah Bernhardt?

• pippi21
    11 years ago

How deep is your flowerbed where the Walker's Low and your peonies are planted? How close is that Walker's Low to the peonies and how much sun do they get? That blue against that pink sure is certainly a nice combination. Are either of these plants deer resistant?

• marquest
    11 years ago

I sprinkle some Zinnia seeds in May. They grow up into the bush and it looks like the peony is blooming beautiful different colors.

I purchase Burpee Giant Zinnia.