Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice of transplanting a 35 year old tree peony

Posted by RobinH Zone 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 13:08

I do not know the type as this was received as a flower of the month years ago. It has several stems coming out of the ground and coral colored flowers. The blooms are so large that they have to be supported. It is currently at the family home that is going to be put on the market. This has sentimental value to us so we will need to move it. It was my mom's pride and joy. So we do not have the option of waiting until Fall. My soil here is awful, yellow clay so I cannot transplant it here.

The base is probably about 14 inches across. My daughter wants to move this to her place but they plan on moving in the next few years so she was thinking of moving it to a large rolling pot.

Will a tree peony of this age take to be moved to a pot? Will the pot need to be moved indoors during the St Louis winters?

Any advice is welcome as we do not want to end up killing it while moving it.

Thanks,
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice of transplanting a 35 year old tree peony

If you need to move it now, I would suggest at least waiting until leaves fully grow out and harden off a bit.

When you dig, it will be crucial to keep as much soil on the root ball as possible and use perhaps a 50 gallon pot to keep it alive. Try not to break or injure the brittle roots because they are all very important in keeping your tree peony healthy.

It's like performing a surgery on somebody. You really can't afford to break that many roots because when a tree peony is actively growing, it's starch can literally bleed out, and go into shock.

o

So can it be left out during the winter months or will it need to be moved indoors.

o

What climate zone are you in? If it gets too cold, it may be necessary to put a tarp over the potted tree peony along with a few buckets of water if you cannot get it into the ground right away.

It is not a good idea to over-winter a tree peony indoors because they need a dormancy period in order to be re-charged for the spring or else you could end up killing it.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 0:45

You could "plant" the pot right in the ground come winter. That would give the root ball more protection--then if they move, they can just dig up the pot and take it with them.

o

I have tried the pot-in-the-ground method for various plants. You just need to be careful that there is good drainage and that the pot is not holding water.

Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here