Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry dead peonies from Walmart last summer

Posted by RyseRyse_2004 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:45

Last summer I bought them because they were 10 pkgs. for $1.00. I figured if even one came up, I was ahead. I planted them immediately and kept them watered throughout the drought. Nothing popped.

Today I went out to check on many peonies that were well established and then went to the place where the little dried-up thingies were planted. Guess what???????? Yep, some tiny little sprouts in several areas. I am amazed. Bruised, battered, neglected in their infancy --- some are going to make it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry dead peonies from Walmart last summer

Yeah for the underdog, runt of the litter, left over bargain bin peonies!!!!! Isn't it great when it works out like that?

o

10 packs for only a buck? wow! what a find. were they no name peonies? what a nice surprise, they will probably be prettier than the ones you already have established. hope they do bloom for you this year.

o

Yes, 10 cents a pack -- they were practically giving them away. (unnamed) Then, a couple of isles over, I saw a rack of flower/herb seeds that were 30 for $1.00. I saw that the seeds were from 2010 so I told the guy I would take them all for $1.00.

I have winter sown most of the varieties so it will be interesting to see what comes up. My own saved seeds are viable for many years but I keep them in a refrigerator and in zip lock baggies. Who knows where these seeds were kept.

o

I thought the same thing with mine and they came back. Will be watching for more peonies on clearance this year as well.

o

So RyseRyse, have any of your wintersown end o'season seeds sprouted yet? A few of the more hardy varieties have started to come up here, a lot of the ones I put out were from older seed, too.

o

Yes! Just about all of my jugs have some sprouts now. I was worried for awhile but spring is coming after all. I did find that milk jugs work best for me. I won't use the clear berry boxes again. They just dried out too fast even though I taped most of the holes shut.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here