Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have extra peony seeds

Posted by brownest_thumb none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 13:52

Hi,
I can't afford to buy the plants and don't have any neighbors to propagate from, but I do have patience :-). Does anybody have any extra seeds - I would send postage. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have extra peony seeds

I don't have any from this year's peonies, much too early. I have some left from last year if you don't want to wait.

o

Thanks for the offer. Obviously fresher seeds are always better to start with, but as long as the germination rate doesn't suffer I wouldn't mind getting a head start. From what I understand these will take some time before they bloom!

o

Germination sucks unless the seeds are either planted immediately or stored moist in the fridge.

Germination is initiated by a long warm period (root forms) followed by a cold period (fridge) and can be brought out into the light and warmth when the first above ground growth emerges.

o

You can get them at 0.99 per 20 seeds on eBay, and their germination rate is supposed to be around 60%, and if you grow them correctly, you should have about that many of them germinate.

They key is that they need to be planted around 2 inches deep so that the pill bugs don't eat the seeds. It also prevents them from sprouting too early in the spring.

The best method that I've found after growing them for 3 years from seed is to put them directly into garden beds. If you plant them now, many of them should generate roots by around fall, and make sprouts for spring of the following year. If they don't sprout in 2013, some of them might take until 2014 as dormant seeds are a bit harder to germinate.

Here is a link that might be useful: my tree peony seedlings

o

brownest thumb: what would be wrong with asking for some roots. I have some that needs moving and would be willing to share. I have several different colors. what zone are you in? could you pay part of postage? Pembroke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here