Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryseryse_2004

Really bummed about my Bartzella

ryseryse_2004
11 years ago

I got a Bartzella in a pot from Ebay and it had a couple of healthy looking leaves.. I wondered at the time if the seller had just potted a cutting and if there were any roots. Well, we had some cold weather (the pot was on a porch) and the leaves died. Today I unpotted it and sure enough there are no roots. I should know better than to buy something in a pot without checking it!

I don't feel I can complain to the seller because it was growing when I got it but I don't think it will come back.

It was $29.00 and I really thought I got a bargain. NOT.

Comments (7)

• KarenPA_6b
    11 years ago

Thank you for letting us know of your experience so that we do not fall prey to these vendors. You should give the seller a negative rating. You can get a Bartzella from Lowes for $29.96. I bought a Cora Louise and the root/plant/eyes are really nice. But first check the package to see if the plant is still in good shape as sitting too long on the shelve in warm temperature can cause the eyes to sprout and then it maybe harder to get a good start on it. If that is the case, you should not buy it. I bought mine from Solaris Farms last fall for $45 and he sent really nice size root. I have noticed 2 flower buds on it now eventhough it was planted just over 7 months ago. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

I would suggest contacting them, and let them know about the situation before leaving bad feedback. They could be new to peonies and not understand that you need a good mass of tubers for it to do thrive. They should give you a full refund for that if you explain it to them.

I actually had a pretty good experience on eBay with itoh peonies. Here's the ones I got from MACAO2000 who is an eBayer however I quoted him directly to get a better price on multiple itoh peonies.

Here's the link to the blog. Some of these itoh peonies I got last spring have flower buds this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Itoh peonies from ebayer

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just contacted Ebay about the problem. I hesitated to do so because on the day I received the plant, I gave a good review since I saw the healthy leaves.

• ryseryse_2004
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm sending my dead guy back for a refund. Yeah.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

You probably shouldn't purchase peonies unless you make sure that they are a legitimate seller who knows enough about peonies.

I would suggest checking out Lowes to see if they have it. If not, contact the person before buying to make sure they have dormant tubers that are viable, and if you are going through eBay, you will be able to get a much lower price if you quote them directly to buy straight from them.

Good luck

• maifleur01
    11 years ago

Intersectional's will form roots on small pieces of root. Contact the seller but the roots should form when the weather warms.

• stevelau1911
    11 years ago

If you have a small dormant piece, then it would be easier to grow, but if you are already starting out with a plant that someone divided up just so they could sell more of them, then you're dealing with a dead plant.

I was able to grow them from small dormant pieces relatively easily as shown in the blog below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing itohs from small pieces

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor