Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sprouts from below graft - tree peony

Posted by carlanne 7a NJ coastal (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 9, 05 at 14:14

I have had a very small tree peony for 2 seasons. Last spring it sprouted from below the graft. I removed the sprouts. The plant grew some but did not bloom. Again this spring there are sprouts from the below graft root. I plan to remove them. I would like advice from an experienced person. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sprouts from below graft - tree peony

I also remove any sprouts below the graft. Some plants are more persistant about sprouting than others, will send some up every year.

My Tree Peonies seemed to take a year or two to settle in, before blooming. One that I bought in bloom did not bloom again after being planted. This is its' third year, and I will move it if I get no flowers this season. I am wondering if the open location is too windy during winter, maybe killing flower buds. It has nice foliage, just not any flowers. There is a second Tree Peony that was grown from seed in that location, also has never bloomed. Both these were nice sized when purchased, bigger than the cheap ones that bloomed the first year after planting. Sun and dirt are both good, but that is the windy side of the house. I figure on at least two years to let them settle in is fair, but then they should be doing something in the flower department.

The small, inexpensive ($10) ones that bloomed the next year for me are out of the wind, had only half day of sun. Came in several different colors, but I don't know it that makes them a superior plant. They did skip blooming the second year, but bloomed again the third. They have gotten bigger sticks and added foliage since planting, though still smaller than the purchased larger, but non-blooming plants.

I cut off all of the seed pods to allow plant energy to go into leaves and growth.

o

Carlanne, how deep did you plant your tree peony? The graft should be below soil a good 7 to 9 inches..

Diann
IA Z5a

o

Yes, put the graft way below soil level and you shouldn't see any more herbaceous sprouts. Eventually you may also get roots from the tree peony itself. Watch out for tree peony buds growing from below the soil line, those are OK.

o

Thank you for your responses. Perhaps the root portion which happens to be on an angle is not deep enough. No new sprouts at present, and it does have a bud. A house near ours which was professionally landscaped many years ago, but has since been all but unlived in due to family situations, has two marvelous tree peonies out front. Both are covered by buds. Nothing has been done to these plants or any others on the property in the 6 years I have lived across from them. Frustrating to see, but maybe there is a good lesson also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here