Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodhors

Finally--Leaves and Sprouts

goodhors
18 years ago

Hooray, my new Peonies are sprouting!! I have been watching closely and SUDDENLY they are coming up. This is an all new bed with new plants from last fall. The crazy weather has not been helpful, warm then cold, as I kept checking them. The older plants in a new bed have been peeking out for a while, but not the others. Tree Peonies are all in different stages, depending on yard location. One has great leaves, all unfolded. Another is just starting to push the buds a bit. Perhaps I just didn't watch so hard in other years.

The new bed is mixed, herbaceous and Tree Peonies. Today I also found the new Fernleaf sprouts! They are pretty funny looking. Not at all like the others. The 4 showing looked like upside down Burr Oak Acorns with the hat side down. Burr Oak acorns have funny little streamer like tendrils on the cap/hat part of the acorn. The hat part looks almost like the fur hats of Russian folks wear during winter. So that is what I see, a little red furry hat edge around an acorn looking bud, coming up thru the ground. Same little furry hat acorn at the next stake too! I haven't had Fernleafs before so this was quite an interesting surprise. Really different.

Some of the other new plants have HUGE sprouts coming up, bigger than my thumbs. These are going to be larger plants than I figured. I really spaced them according to promised size, but it looked so far apart I was planning on annuals between for a couple years. Maybe I won't need them after all.

Hope all your Peonies are popping out as well as mine. Daffodils all opened yesterday too. We look very Spring-like.

Comment (1)

• judyefd
    18 years ago

Thanks for sharing your excitement! Isn't it great to see our babies arrive? (especially the newly planted ones)

Enjoy!
    Judye

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus