Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Peonies Ever Truly Dead?

Posted by lkaye z5 WV (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 15:15

Okay, my favorite antique peony Peter Brand succumbed I believe to botryris(?) blight. Three years ago the leaves and stems turned dark splotched and dried up in mid summer.The next year there was very little growth and it did the same thing. Last year I don't think there was any spring growth or if there was it was one stem and it was dead within a couple of weeks. This used to be a huge and prolific bloomer. So I figured the tubers were all dead and dried up and when I went to plant something else there yesterday, the tubers are still there and nice and crisp and pink inside but no eyes. Of course I didn't know this until I whacked it in several pieces with the shovel. Any way to restore a dormant/dead peony to force eyes??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Peonies Ever Truly Dead?

Most itoh peony roots will produce eyes pretty easily however with herbaceous roots, it still happens, but not as often.

I would suggest digging it up, then potting it up in well drained soil to give it as much of a chance as possible. Adding azomite for the minerals, and some sort of fungicide should help it recover.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here