Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Sarah Bernhardt' peony

Posted by gnabonnand 8a - D/FW Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 15:17

First bloom ever beginning to open up on my 'Sarah Bernhardt' peony.

Randy

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Sarah Bernhardt' peony

Thanks for confirming that peonies will flower in Texas. Al

o

Lol, Al, actually I have found that most of them won't bloom here.
The other varieties I've tried have just teased me.
This one is different, for some reason.
Just one of the reasons I appreciate this one so much!

Randy

o

The SB is just gorgeous. Thanks for posting the picture.

I live just outside of Dallas, in Carrollton and have 3 types of Peonies (pink, white and red) in bloom now. I have no idea what the names are-they are just out of those packages that you can buy in places like Lowes or Home Depot.

I would love to have more, lots more...I was a a little surprised though at how expensive they are buying from growers. Are they all this expensive?
cathie

o

Growing peonies for sale is expensive because they are propagated by division. You can only get so many divisions from so many plants. With limited production and high labor cost per plant, you should not expect cheap plants. Al

o

Scarlett, we are practically neighbors. I'm on that side of Dallas too.
You must have a very green thumb, or you must be very patient. I was never able to grow the little peony "roots" from Lowes / Home Depot / Wal-Mart. They all died or were so weak, I'd be in a nursing home before they amounted to anything.
This Sarah Bernhardt peony was a really large plant when I planted it, and when I'm ready for another, I will shell out the big bucks to get another nice, large one from a quality garden center.

Al, I agree, it must be very expensive to propagate peonies, then grow them to a descent size before selling.

Randy

o

Randy,
I saw some Peonies at North haven Gardens
in huge pots around 36.00 pricey I know,
just trying to help :)
Olga,

o

Oh, Geez, Olga ... thanks for the "help" !
Tempting an addict with what he's hooked on :-)
And Northaven Gardens is my favorite garden center, they have the great varieties that are sometimes hard to find elsewhere.
Thanks for the info!

Randy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here