Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyefd

Phew!! It's alive!!

judyefd
17 years ago

Just had to share my joy at seeing the first sprout of Gold Standard this morning!!! All my other peonies have shown themselves for one or two weeks now, including my other brand new baby La Pinja.

These two are especially dear to me, as they were birthday gifts from my father who passed away last fall...in fact the timing was such that I was unable to pick them up from Countryman's, so Wendi (peoniesaremyfave), who I met on this forum, offered to get them for me! How dear is that!

This is also my first time buying "single" style peonies...I'm always drawn toward "bombs!" I'm so anxious to see them bloom...that may be quite a wait, but at least I now know they are alive!!

The nail biting is over!

Wendi, if you're out there, Thanks again!

Judye

Comments (4)

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

If they were good quality healthy plants, they shouldn't take long at all for the first blooms, and I think that's the norm and not the exception. I bought mine very cheap;y, and they were at most perhaps year old grafts when planted the first spring, and some even tried to bloom then, though being young plants with little branching yet, only a single bud or two at the terminals, once the growth was complete for the season. From then on, mine have never missed a year for blooms, though some years are heavier for blooms than others. I sometimes wonder if some complaints of them not flowering quickly come from being planted where there's too much shade, and they do need a fair amount of sun to flower reliably I'd guess.

• judyefd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! ...and the reminder for patience.

You're right about full sun. Planting depth is always an issue too...I plant with a ruler in hand. ;-D

Judye

• peoniesaremyfave
    16 years ago

Judye!

I am so happy your babies are coming along!

The Vivid Rose that you were so kind to ask Countrymans if they had that I could purchase is now seeing the sky (mine own wacky term for the eyes are coming out of the ground) and the M. Tiscler is doing the same but I haven't seen anything of the Nick Shaylor yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

In not seeing 'Nick' I thought of you and I was praying that the two that you picked were seeing the sky also. I am so happy that they are, what a relief. PJ called to get a catalog for this year from Countrymans and sure enough he spoke with Chris and Chris said "You were here last weren't you? If you bought something you will be getting one when they come out. You are on the list. We will see you in the fall again right?" You better believe it and we will be bringing a picnic basket this time.

Please tell Paul that I said hello and congratulations!

Wendi

• judyefd
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm finally back on the internet...have had spotty access of late.

Has Nick Shaylor seen the sky yet??

My two new babies are not thriving. :(

La Pinja, that sent up two eyes ahead of everyone else, has not progressed at all. Gold Standard has one tiny shoot. I remember more eyes than that when I planted it.

It dawned on me that it might be the site. A friend had given me two small peony divisions (one with no eyes) that I had planted in the same place the year before. They did very little there (though clearly wanted to live), so I moved one to my new bed (where all the daylilys got planted) and the other I gave to a neighbor. The one in my new bed is doing great!

I was going to call Chris to see if he had any suggestions for me (and still may), but a VT friend who is a professional gardener told me of a client where over the years they kept planting peonies that did nothing in one particular site, even going to far as to replace the soil...and still nothing (but had success at other places on the property).

If it is my site (which is somewhat near the street and may have winter salt/sand issues), I'm so disappointed as I had a vision for these two beauties greeting folks at the beginning of our walkway. Now where do I put them??? oy!

A warm hello to PJ...and you! Love the sound of a picnic at Countryman's!

Judye