Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anuparaj_gw

Planted Peonies Too Deep

anuparaj
14 years ago

Hi All:

I have three peonies that I planted a few years back that refuse to flower. I, now believe it is because they were planted too deep. How do I remedy the situation? When do I remedy this?

For the last few year, 1 or 2 buds form on these plants, however the buds do not bloom. They turn brown and drop off. Mind you it's just the bud not the foliage so I don't think it's any form of disease. However I have been wrong before. :)

Can some help, please?

Thanks

Comments (4)

• ashes_of_the_fire
    14 years ago

i don't think it's because they're too deep. it would seem to me that if they were too deep they wouldn't send up flower stalks at all, only leaves. the buds turning brown and dying could be a disease but i'm not sure what.

i've never had that problem, but some plants that my ex had did the same thing, only there were other buds that opened so we didn't care. i divided the plant figuring that that would take care of itself. i left the biggest ones there and took the smaller ones and so far they haven't bloomed yet(this is going to be their second summer)though i'm hoping they will this year. i would add a bit of fertilizer (preferably one that has a lower nitrogen content, the middle number) or amend the soil with some bone meal right around the plant.

if you think that they're getting too big maybe dig and cut at the end of this year and see if that changes anything.

good luck!

• maifleur01
    14 years ago

Try removing some of the dirt. You can do this now. The bud blast may be from fungus or because the plant is too young. However since the plant has been in the ground for several years it probably is the fungus. I have seen peonies put up stems when under a foot of soil so being planted too deep is not a guarantee that the peony will not put up growth.

I would also use a general fertilizer around the plant.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

To help with a non flowering question on peonies, it would help to know where you garden. Your planting zone would help. From your description I would question if your soil is as rich or contains as much humus as peonies like. Peonies bloom so early in the year, lack of water is not usually a problem. Al

• amulet
    14 years ago

The best time to lift peonies is in the fall, but I've also done it in the early spring before they've sprouted. I usually try to dig around the peony to try to lift it while trying to sever as few roots as possible. I also usually put some top soil under the peony as well to give it some better dirt to grow in while I'm at it. This has helped both times I've done this. I have a couple more that I need to do this fall as well.

Also the problem could be too much shade / not enough sun. Some of my peonies that are in too much shade make bloom buds that stay small and never mature. These plants aren't affected by a blight, so I know I need to move them to a sunnier location. Where are you peonies planted?

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus