Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suel41452

Anyone used Preen to Suppress Weeds Around Peonies?

suel41452
16 years ago

In the literature I got from Adelman Peony Gardens, they said it was OK to use "Preem" around peonies. I assume that's a typo, and I've never used Preen around them because peonies are not listed on the approved plant list on the package. Has anyone used Preen around peonies without harming them? Sue

Comments (6)

• jayco
    16 years ago

I don't know anything about Preen, but I have had great results using only mulch. I just use a layer about 2 inches deep, have very few weeds, and my peonies seem to love it and are doing great. When they're mature, they shade the ground below and that helps as well.

• patty__em
    15 years ago

I use PREEN, with the fertilizer, in my flower beds. The peonies get better every year!

• suel41452
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's good news!! I love Preen - works great. Thanx! Sue

• esthersgeorge
    last year

I used Preen or the first time, last week, and the peonies were already taller than 3 inches, however, some of the leaves are now curling. I've had these peonies for over 15 years. The only difference this year is the preen. I am getting very worried. I wouldn't use it. Let's hope they survive this year and are able to produce blooms and come back next year. Wondering if I should move the plant even.

• ibchaz
    11 months ago

Most people have had success with using Preen AFTER peonies are 4-6" tall. (source: various horticultural forums) I've tested and used it over non-listed flowers and never found a problem. Pendulum is a fairly broad preemergent that is list for "Chinese Peony". I keep that and oryzalin products (ie Surflan) on hand, and the two of them cover everything in my landscape. Preen is trifluralin, pretty benign, and I use the dry sprinkle for small areas or touch up if I disturb a treated area.

• J. Sutter
    5 months ago

I've used the fertilizer Preen on my sweetcorn, pumpkins and tomatoes for years with zero known problems. I apply it after plants are about 4 to 6 inches tall, and mulch with lawn clippings after. Last year I use Preen on my new peonies ( 8 total ) and it worked as it should without any noticeable problems with the peonies. One of them even got a flower. Today I just finished planting 26 new ponies, and I fully intend to use Preen next spring. The one very important aspect to remember is that you really need to make the correct application and never over use the product, because even the fertilizer it contains, if over applied, will certainly burn and or kill any plant. Any fertilizer is fully capable of killing plants. Best of luck to all.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths