Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red ants and peonies

Posted by WDW58 none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 15:39

Here in Ontario Canada my peonies are up to about 6 inches tall. Today I noticed one had quite a large mound of grayish dirt around it. Moved some of the dirt and behold, lots and lots of red ants. This peonie is right against the house. I was wondering how I could get rid of these litle visitors before they move into the house.
I am aware that peonies need ants to help with their blooms but in years past it was the black ants that did so. Not this many red ants around before.
Thank you for any help you can give me
WDW58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red ants and peonies

Have you tried adding used coffee grounds to the soil around the peonies? Any non-flavored will do, I know Starbucks here will give used grounds away and the ants don't like it at all. And the ants really don't help the peonies open, they'll be fine with or without them! You should be able to just sprinkle the dry grounds in your peony beds on top of mulch (it'll wash down with the sprinklers or rain) or scratch it in to compost or soil, use it like any other amendment.

o
RE: Red ants and peonies

Diatomaceous Earth works immediately. BTW, peonies have no need for ants. The ants are drawn to peonies for the nectar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here