Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Peonies from Naturally Dispersed Seeds?

Posted by BroomMaker 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 15:41

Has anyone had seeds that fell to the ground sprout?

I have several TPs that have been producing good looking seeds for several years. Every year I collect some with intentions of planting them, but most fall to the ground. I have never seen any new plants sprout in the garden. Do the rodents etc get them all?

I have this week taken a mix of seeds from different plants and different years and put them in a Parks Seeds Bio-Sponge unit. I would be happy to get just one!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Peonies from Naturally Dispersed Seeds?

When I've have sprinkled TP seeds right on the ground, they often put a root into the ground, and even if they end up getting covered up, they are very prone to coming up too early in the season and get killed off by freezes. I have also seen pill bugs eat out all the insides of the seed before they ever have a chance to sprout. It's not uncommon for them to attack the TP seedlings when they are still tender, but once they harden off, they are pretty resistant to most environmental factors as long as they don't get transplanted. It's not OK to transplant them until they go dormant in the fall.

I've found that the TP seeds that are planted around 2 inches deep in the flower beds are by far more successful because they generally emerge when freezes are not as bad, and they are protected from either drying out completely or any pests that may get to them before then.

If you try any indoor method, be prepared to lose a lot of them because it is very hard to grow them outside of a natural environment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here