Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
damaged tree peony

Posted by tonks 8 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 05 at 16:24

i have 4 healthy new peony trees that seem to be florishing...and then there is the "one on the end". it was damaged in shipment and is clinging to life. the new growth has been 1/3 of the way snapped off. it looks better than it did when we first planted it but i am concerned that there is something i can do for it. and then i am concerned that my actions will only hurt the plant. what should i do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: damaged tree peony

I would contact the shipper, tell them that plant was damaged in shipment. What do they suggest? They have to have a problem department for these kinds of things. I don't think you can do much to fix new growth stubs that are damaged. Plant might be fine with less foliage, but came damaged. Shipper should be helpful on answers.

o

oh! i have a replacement on the way but i'd hate to just throw the tree away.

o

Remove the broken stem cleanly. No flowers from it this year, but it will resprout nicely next year. It will likely become bushier than the others because of this "pruning", which might mean more flowers at a young age, or it might mean no flowers at all until it becomes strong enough to put buds on all those shoots :)

Plant it deeply to avoid forcing suckers from the root stock and help the plant to establish its own roots.

o

thank you. i have noticed signs of life from other parts of the plants and this, with your advice, gives me hope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here