Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Old' Peonies - Questions.

Posted by mystic_dragon72 6b SE PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 26, 10 at 16:52

I'm sure I have posted these questions before a couple years ago but I can't find them so I will ask again. We moved into this house back in Nov. of 07 and of the few plants that I inherited were two peonies. My first question has to do with their location. They are currently in a mostly shady area between two white cedar trees and they grow pretty tall and lanky which requires them to be supported every year or they fall over. Is the extra long growth due primarily to the fact that they don't get enough sun and they are reaching to get more light? Next, if I want to move them do I have to wait until they die down in the fall so that I don't stress them out? I'm pretty sure they're just like every other perennial in that respect but I figured I'd ask some experts. The last question will have to wait until they bloom and I can get photos as I'd like some ID's. I know they were planted by the mother of the landlord about 40 years ago so that might help with the ID once I do manage to get some photos.

TIA for all input.
ttfn
Cheryl.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Old' Peonies - Questions.

Well, a lot of peonies flop anyway when they bloom, because the flowers have been bred to be so big. But, if they aren't blooming well and seem extra floppy, even without flowers, it is too shady and they should be moved.

You can move them EXTREMELY early in the spring, as soon as the ground thaws before any growth really starts, even then, you risk the danger of breaking buds.

The best time is to move them in October as the old foliage is beginning to die down. You can trim the foliage off, then, too.

If you absolutely HAVE to move them in growth, dig as large of a clump as possible and really baby them. They will be shocked, but won't die.

o
RE: 'Old' Peonies - Questions.

Thanks for the reply. I don't HAVE to move them as my only reason for considering the move was their location being too shady so it can definitely wait until they start to go dormant in the fall. Also, based on your answers to the other question I am guessing that they aren't getting enough sunlight as they are almost 3' high right now and just starting to bud and are already falling down.

I do love the scent they both have when they bloom... one is a pink variety and the other is a cream/lemon variety with a dark pink petal or two around the center of the bloom.... their fragrance is heavenly!! What I love most is that both have different scents that mingle quite nicely.

ttfn
Cheryl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here