Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Is this 'Bowl of Beauty'?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
12 years ago

I just love this peony that was growing in a dark, neglected corner of my yard when I purchased the house over twenty-five years ago. It had also been planted a bit deep (for a peony) and sometimes got too wet (as in standing water). I moved it around a couple different times and it looked better but never took off real strong--until I moved it to its present location, which it adores--in full sun and planted correctly, of course.

So here's my beauty! What do you think? Is it Bowl of Beauty? Or some other peony that would have been popular over 25 years ago?

{{gwi:296470}}

Thanks for any input you can give.

Kate

Comments (8)

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

It does indeed look like Bowl of Beauty. And a well-grown one too!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, mantis. You should have seen how pathetic it looked a number of years ago before I "rescued" it and finally gave it a good home in full sun and planted higher. The difference in the blooms is amazing.

Kate

• houdinii
    11 years ago

Is that Cora Stubbs?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

houdinii, I guess that might be a possibilitiy also. I really don't know. Which would have been a more popular or readily available peony over 25 years ago? Other than that, I have no way of determining what peony it might be.

I can say that the previous gardener, judging by the plants left on the property, had no unusual or exotic plants. They all seem to be good, solid middle-of-the-road types, so that is why I'm using the standard of which choice would have been more popular or readily available over 25 years ago. Of course, since I've been growing these for over 25 years, it is possible the previous gardener grew them at least 25 years also, so maybe the real question is what peony like that would have been popular or readily available over 50 years ago! (Oh my, this is getting complicated, isn't it!) LOL

Kate

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Is it this year's bloom? We can compare when mine bloom. Bowl of Beauty is commonly marketed since it is such a fast grower. My Cora Stubbs is more raspberry than Bowl of Beauty and has a fuller center. I will be paying close attention this season.

Here is Cora Stubbs in another year (not a great picture):

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really can't tell from the pictures. My picture was taken just last week and is very close in color to the plant itself, except my camera perhaps gives the pink a very slight bluish-lavender shade--just a touch of it.

I'm still inclining toward Bowl of Beauty, but it will be interesting to see some more photos of Bowl and of Cora--to help determine which is which.

Is their a difference in heights? Does one bloom early in peony season, the other late in peony season? Any distinguishing characteristics like that?

Mine is at its peak bloom about mid-peony season. It definitely is not a late-peony season bloomer since my late ones haven't even bloomed yet, and my earliest peony finished its bloom cycle several weeks ago.

Kate

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago

It does not look like a bowl to me at all.I have never seen Bowl of Beauty THAT flat. It is more like a plate.

• gardenbear1
    11 years ago

My bowl of beauty is more bowl shaped, mine haven't bloomed yet its still a bit early for them here