Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly discovered peonies, now what?

Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 17:47

DH and I moved into his folk's home back in November. Due to health problems they had to move closer to medical facilities. Their property hadn't been maintained for several years and I just discovered two clumps of peonies struggling to come up through the thick grass and blackberry canes. I cleaned up as much as I could, but the grass roots are still thick around the peony stems and the stems are about 12"-15" tall and spindly/tender looking.
I was reading that this is about the time to fertilize them, but working granular fert into the soil around them would likely damage them. Could I just give them a shot of liquid fert(MG type)now and work at loosening the soil later in the season? I've never grown peonies before. Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly discovered peonies, now what?

Having no idea as to your soil I can only relate my experiences. The weeds I pull from among the peony shoots trying to get their roots if possible. You should be able to locate the width of the peony root by probing with your fingers. Beyond that point I would scratch into your soil about 3 inches of finished compost. I have never found commercial fertilizer to be needed. You may need to support your bloom stems. To be safe you could do that now. Al

o
RE: Newly discovered peonies, now what?

• Posted by noinwi Z8 Kitsap Peninsula (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 15:21

Thanks Al. I pulled as much of the grass roots as I could...they're pretty thick. This property is a wetland with lots of clay but the peonies are in a couple of small raised beds(well, one clump is in just a mound of soil) that were probably filled with bagged potting soil. I'll just have to wait and see if they do in fact bloom as I have no idea how(deep)they were planted, or how long they've been there. Good that I don't need to worry about ferts. If they don't bloom, I'll dig them up and replant in the fall. I should be able to find supports of some type around here...we're cleaning up a lot of yard junk. I'll try to post a photo later. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here