Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peonies Uprooting?

Posted by BlueBirdPeony 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 17:53

First spring in a new house with abundant landscaping. I was aware that we had some peonies, but have never been responsible for taking care of them before. I was out today doing some cleanup and think that one of them has a tuber is coming out of the ground. It's really hard to tell...and I don't know what to do with it. Or is this totally normal and i'm wprrying for nothing?
Thoughts?!?!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peonies Uprooting?

It's normal. You should start seeing a lot more of those red shoots before long.

o

Thanks! I know the red is normal, but there are brown root like things too that seem like they are coming up. Again, no experience here, but are the roots (not red sprouts, but brown woody things) supposed to come up too? I know the picture makes it so hard to tell. Thanks,

o

they look fine to me. they are just coming up for this season. no need to worry. it looks like you need to cut back last years growth though. it's not needed for this year. all that dead brown stuff can go, but that's it. nothing else needs to be done, other than getting your supports in place if you want to.

o

I agree completely with aggiegrad, just for neatness the refuse left from last year should be removed now while you can still reach it. Al

o

Thanks! Do you just clip them off at ground level? Or do you pull them until they break? Also does anyone fertilize their peonies? Last year we did nothing and they were spectacular. But I don't want to get complacent!

o

If the remains from last year do not remove easily, shorten them but leave them stay. Too much pulling can tear off a big chunk of root and several eyes. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here