Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kirinmaru Peony

Posted by jennifergibbons SC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 18:09

Hi,
I am wondering if I can take my NEW Kirinmaru Peony shrubs and maintain them as Houseplants. they do not get very big from what I am told. I am wondering if they will flower if in a sunny location inside my home? any information/advice is WELCOMED!!
Thanks so much everyone!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kirinmaru Peony

All peonies need cool weather dormancy. By puting them in your house you deprive them of the cold that is needed to form blooms. In China tree peonies are sold as houseplants for the New Years celebrations but are discarded after blooming.

I am courious what is your source?

o

Hi maifleur, thanks for the info, I was hoping that they wouldnt have to dieback but I guess Ill just find a nice spot outside for them. I was dissapointed that they are only going to be 36" tall. Glad I only bought two!

By source, do you mean where did I get them? I bought them from Spring Hill Nursery....way too expensive ($50.00) but I LOVED the bicolor of white and raspberry... so I went for them. Needless to say, when they arrived, they were well...... TINY is not the word for them, and the root looked half dead. One is now THRIVING beautifully where the other is half the size and struggling. I put them in oversized pots to keep a closer eye on them...........i dont know..........dissapointing thus far....maybe they are just acclimating. Fingers crossed they will do well, they have the potential to be breathtaking peonies!!!

o

How are they doing now? I'm thinking about getting one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here