Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking to replace peonies

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 18:14

Hello

I transplanted some peonies last year (early fall I believe). They weren't getting enough sun in the area they were planted in so we moved them to a sunnier spot. Sadly I don't think they have survived the winter (I'm seeing signs of life in many plants but none in these peonies). I don't really care what kind of peony it is, but I do like the fully double peonies, so anything with a high petal count is loved. Anyways, if anyone is dividing and is willing to share please let me know. I have some ajuga (black scallop I believe) I'm dividing this spring that I could share in exchange. The rest of the stuff in my garden is all common stuff that you probably wouldn't like.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking to replace peonies

Peonies are difficult to transplant, but I would give them a bit more time before deciding that you were totally unsuccessful. It takes a long time to get a good stand of them in any case.

Some of the doulbes are very droopy and will need to be supported.

o

I doubt your peony is dead. I have bought several peonies in worse shape than the fresh peonies that you planted and they still survive. Can I ask you how deep you planted your peonies? The deeper you planted the eyes the longer for the pips to come up.

o

I live in zone 5 as well and with the winter we've had I had to pull mulch back to see if the peonies planted last year made it. The pips are just starting to show. I'd give them more time. Unless water logged I've found them to be pretty tough plants.

o

Also zone 5, some of my peonies are showing tiny starts of leaves, some barely show pips and some haven't shown signs of life at all yet. I agree with the others, don't give up on them yet!

o

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I will give them a little more time. However, I'd still like to add some more peonies to my yard. I only have a pink one right now and I'd like to get a couple more colors (reds, whites, yellows, etc).

o

I have a Bowl Of Beauty peony I'm hoping to remove and give away come Fall. It's actually been the "parent" of several others in my yard. However it was planted in a super-shady location by the original homeowner and so never blooms more than once in a blue moon. It's a two-toned pink bloom with a cool looking "red eye."

If you're still looking when Autumn rolls around (and don't mind more pink), bump this thread and we'll talk. Hopefully your current plants are just taking their time at surfacing. :) Good Luck.

o

I would give them more time. My peonies are slowly coming up. Most of them are still sleeping, but eventually, I'm sure they will show their pretty faces. :-) Give it some time. They are worth the wait.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here