Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
perennialfan273

Looking to replace peonies

perennialfan273
10 years ago

Hello

I transplanted some peonies last year (early fall I believe). They weren't getting enough sun in the area they were planted in so we moved them to a sunnier spot. Sadly I don't think they have survived the winter (I'm seeing signs of life in many plants but none in these peonies). I don't really care what kind of peony it is, but I do like the fully double peonies, so anything with a high petal count is loved. Anyways, if anyone is dividing and is willing to share please let me know. I have some ajuga (black scallop I believe) I'm dividing this spring that I could share in exchange. The rest of the stuff in my garden is all common stuff that you probably wouldn't like.

Comments (7)

• eibren
    10 years ago

Peonies are difficult to transplant, but I would give them a bit more time before deciding that you were totally unsuccessful. It takes a long time to get a good stand of them in any case.

Some of the doulbes are very droopy and will need to be supported.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

I doubt your peony is dead. I have bought several peonies in worse shape than the fresh peonies that you planted and they still survive. Can I ask you how deep you planted your peonies? The deeper you planted the eyes the longer for the pips to come up.

• timhensley
    10 years ago

I live in zone 5 as well and with the winter we've had I had to pull mulch back to see if the peonies planted last year made it. The pips are just starting to show. I'd give them more time. Unless water logged I've found them to be pretty tough plants.

• lizbest1
    10 years ago

Also zone 5, some of my peonies are showing tiny starts of leaves, some barely show pips and some haven't shown signs of life at all yet. I agree with the others, don't give up on them yet!

• perennialfan273
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the encouraging words. I will give them a little more time. However, I'd still like to add some more peonies to my yard. I only have a pink one right now and I'd like to get a couple more colors (reds, whites, yellows, etc).

• ms_xeno
    10 years ago

I have a Bowl Of Beauty peony I'm hoping to remove and give away come Fall. It's actually been the "parent" of several others in my yard. However it was planted in a super-shady location by the original homeowner and so never blooms more than once in a blue moon. It's a two-toned pink bloom with a cool looking "red eye."

If you're still looking when Autumn rolls around (and don't mind more pink), bump this thread and we'll talk. Hopefully your current plants are just taking their time at surfacing. :) Good Luck.

• bellarosa
    10 years ago

I would give them more time. My peonies are slowly coming up. Most of them are still sleeping, but eventually, I'm sure they will show their pretty faces. :-) Give it some time. They are worth the wait.