Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Peonies Freeze? should I cover?

Posted by plantgal z3 MN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 22, 05 at 18:34

My peonies are up about a foot high. They are talking about freezing weather tonight. I have so many and they are all over the place. do I need to cover them?
Thank you in advance for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Peonies Freeze? should I cover?

Have you got any kind of tarp, plastic or sheets you can use for coverings? I would put up some sticks or cages first, to hold coverings from squashing plants, then just cover the plants if possible. Pin down or weight the cover edges to prevent blowing off with a rock or piece of wood, just any heavier stuff. It is going to depend on how cold, how long, snow stays around, how much damage gets done.

o

I've been wondering the same thing. Supposed to get down to 28-30 tonight and tomorrow night. My peonies are all up and have buds. On one the foliage has turned green already and has buds the size of a nickle. I think maybe I should cover?
Mary Lu

o

I wouldn't use plastic, as it doesn't breathe and tends to encourage mold and rot...Peonies are pretty tough. If you have expensive or delicate varieties by all means cover them. We are expecting a 32 degree night here Monday, and I don't plan on doing a thing. Mine have been just fine even after a sudden snow or frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here