Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taylo_gw

If peonies had legs they would run

taylo
17 years ago

Please help....I am now in the process of killing off my fifth and sixth peony and still haven't a clue as to why. The first two were too deep, the next, bad soil and shade [ I think] so when I moved I finally got up the courage to try one more time......same thing happened. They grow about 6 inches, leaves turn brown/black on the edges and die or never come back. One tried but repeated the same process. I just don't get it, I have seen these things growing inside an old rubber tire here in Ms. so what AM I doing wrong. Is there a certain time to plant the bulbs...do they need to have a cold period? HELP!

Comments (5)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    17 years ago

Where are you? Is the "Ms" Mississippi? If so, yes they do need a cold period although if you plant them so the rhizomes are completely exposed on top of the soil with the roots just barely under, you might be able to help gain more chill for them. I grow mine in a container planted that way with the rhizome exposed.

There are some cultivars that do better in warmer areas and that is what you need to look for. The big box stores and some unaware nurseries often sell plants that are not really suitable for growing in their locations (whether the plants are perennials but not hardy there or are cool-temperates needing a certain number of chill hours for good bloom and are not tolerant of high heat or droughty conditions, etc).

Also you may want to put future peonies in a part-sun location to keep the heat off of them but still give them sun for blooms. I noticed that the leaves can get wind burned and crispy on the edges if they are too dry and can't get water absorbed through the roots fast enough when it's too hot.

• arbo_retum
    17 years ago

sounds like botrytis(a type of mold/rot) to me. spraying with a fungicide is the answer, starting when the shoots are 4" high, 1x week for 3 wks i think. benomyl and captan are both used for this.

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Raise your planting bed and incorporate some small rocks to give more drainage. Try and remember what the site looked like that you saw the peonies in and/or if you know where it is at stop and ask. You know you want to talk about your plants maybe the person with the peonies wants to also.

• antiquergirl
    17 years ago

hi, i have my peonies in full morning/early afternoon sun with light evening shade. now i live near chicago but my grandmother lives in st louis and all her peonies have part-sun to shady locations and usually are planted near the house on the north side. you may want to move your location to a cooler spot in your yard and away from afternoon heat. i hope this helps and good luck.

• pappu
    17 years ago

sounds like botrytis. Spray with daconil or mancozeb weekly for 3 weeks when the the shoots are about 4-6 inches high. You have to spray the shoots and also the soil around them.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County