Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this look right?

Posted by Auron22 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 20:30

A peony that I adopted from my father is finally going in the ground. Had it in a pot for a year. This is the first I've had a good look at what is beneath the soil.....and I'm a bit puzzled.

I've read eyes go 1" below soil, 2" if in really cold climate...but this has eyes at greatly varying levels. I noticed the ones on top, on the thin tubers rotted, along with the tuber...so I chopped them off. Here is a photo of the entire thing.
DSCN1072[1]

Was this planted too deep, causing it to send tubers so far up? I've already cut off all rotted parts, about 6 eyes remain. I hope that was ok....There is also this giant hole, and one tuber has it's skin cracked. Does that mean anything?
DSCN1075[1]

cracked tuber to the far left.
DSCN1073[1]

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this look right?

Sometimes the pith will rot away leaving the cambium, but they can still be revived by getting them into loose good draining soil. Potting them up may help. Usually they can produce 1/2 inch diameter roots within the 1st season, and those tubers will fatten up each year, but the main key is to put them in soil that doesn't get damp.

o

It looks fine to me. As it has already been in a pot and has plenty of roots, I would plant in the garden as soon as possible. The top of the tuber should be your reference as to planting depth. Al

o

Thanks for feedback :)

Glad to hear it's fine. It's going in one of a couple new beds i have this year. I forgot to mention, my father says it never flowered. Thats probably the lack of light in the area he had it in. He can't remember the name, just that it was something chinese...or so he thinks. I'm a bit excited about it personally.

o

If it never flowered it could be becase it was planted too deep...top eye only 1" under the soil surface and it'll be fine.
Heather

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here