Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

Where can I buy peonies online this time of year?

irish_rose_grower
16 years ago

I know Adelman's and hollingsworth ship in fall. I called Hollingsworth and they do have some to ship now, but no doubles left and I need 5 pink doubles. I want to buy online so I don't have to go shopping around for them.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Maureen

Comments (8)

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

Since they will not bloom until next spring at the earliest what is the rush.

Go ahead and order or go to Walmart or your local box store and purchase there. If you are like most people that go to one of the box stores you are probably there at least twice a month.

If you are expecting bloom this year you need to study what you plan to purchase.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

There are a couple of sellers on Ebay with 100% rating selling Peonies now. Lots of pink doubles.

• jeannejeanie
    16 years ago

irish_rose_grower you will be able to find double pinks (& other colors) at hicks nursery soon. i do not know if they are in yet. i bought 5 a couple of years ago for my dad. the plants bloomed that year. they looked beautiful & have returned every year. so instant gratification is possible :). give them a call.

• jannie
    16 years ago

White Flower Farms in Connecticut sells peonies, try them.

• alina_1
    16 years ago

White Flower Farm has outrageous prices for small and poor quality plants.
    WFF rating on GWD

• maifleur01
    16 years ago

They will not bloom this year but I just went to CVS(a pharmancy) to pick up a script and they had lacti's in small pots. They had just arrived and the price was not posted so I can not tell you how much.

Peonies are now popular.

• duluthinbloomz4
    16 years ago

Wal-mart here, and probably everywhere, has the bins of bare roots; both pink and red doubles. Sarah Bernhardt or Felix Crousse the single root bags were labeled. The 3 in a bag were labeled simply "pink" or "red" and were priced the same as the single root. I bought some in March, potted them up and they've all sprouted up beautifully - quite tall and healthy looking. I'm patient, can wait a season or two for them to bloom. Peonies have nice foliage which can be a garden asset, too.

• tibetanmastiff
    16 years ago

Hi, I live in Coastal Maine and I am new to this forum. I am also confused by the advice and websites that offer peonies. I assumed that many sites wouldn't ship peonies in spring because it was difficult to send the plants, but here many people are saying the won't bloom in the same year as planted in the spring. Is this just for bare root? I have always bought peonies at local nurseries in the spring and they have always bloomed the first year and come back the next year faithfully. The only time I had any problem with peonies, was when I got some from a local nursery that were dug in the fall. I planted them the same day I got them and in the same site as the rest of our peonies, and they didn't come back the next year or subsequent years. I too would love to find a place that will sell and ship peonies in the early spring.