Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A year ago

Posted by maifleur 5b-6 MO (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 20:39

Just a reminder that Easter last year was on April 9th and that week temperatures plunged all the way to the Gulf of Mexico, I am hoping that the cold front that is approaching from the west is not a repeat of last year. My temperature was below 32F and went to 16F before the end. I lost an entire breeding year and some plants because the temperatures had been very mild and they froze.

Watch your plants this year because the complete damage caused last year may not show up for several years. I believe the Heartland Peony Society is still looking for information on how peonies acted and if there was a long term effect.

The one thing I have noticed is that most tps to not have side shoots being sent up from the sides of branches only from the top buds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A year ago

Here is one thing I have noticed, I have done more pruning of dead wood on tree peonies in the last few years than ever before. Of course some of them are over 40 years old. However it's not just the old ones. I do have a lot of new shoots coming from the ground this year. Temps went down to 32 last nite, and we had some snow or rather ice balls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here