Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how deep to plant peonies?

Posted by enettelbeck MD-7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 21:38

Can anyone help? Last fall, I dug up several peony plants from a bed infested with weeds....one tree and several plants, and overwintered them in pots. Amazingly, they did fine sitting in a cold shed all winter and they started to bud from the rhisome come spring. Intuitively, I planted them like "ducks on water" with the rhisome basically laying on the soil, like an iris. Then I thought about it and wondered if that will be "ok" for this plant. It made sense because it looked like the buds should have light, but now I'm wondering if it will hurt them to be exposed like this. Any suggestions? (Re-plant? Cover with soil? Or should they be planted like that?) Thanks, in advance...:-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how deep to plant peonies?

The "eyes" should be above ground and the thick roots should be under. If that's the case, you should be fine.

If the roots are exposed, I would add some surrounding garden soil over those roots and sort of mound it up.

Hope this helps!

Riz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here