Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

Dead tree peony?

bellarosa
18 years ago

Hi all,

I have a tree peony, High Noon, which I planted last fall. I've checked it and it looks like its dead. I have another tree peony planted right next to it and it has quite a few buds - although this TP is around 4 years old. Should I shovel prune the first tree peony that I think is dead? I've heard some people say that sometimes what looks like a dead TP isn't. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks!

Comments (7)

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

I have not had much luck with High Noon living but if you have the room you may want to leave it.

It looks like my tp that keeps coming back is sending up new shoots again. Maybe this time nothing will happen to it. It is just one of the most common Chinese whites but what a will to live.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    18 years ago

Bellarosa,

I lost BOTH my yellow tree peonies, Kinkaku and High Noon. I am leaving them where they are for now to see what comes up from the root stock, if nothing else, I will have an expensive herbacious peony :-(

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

Buy a small green house - those are really cheap. Many online venders have them.

• saly
    18 years ago

I brought and planted a single branch 24'' peony last fall.
    It wilted and I was sure it is gone.
    But now I can see 2-3 new shoots coming out of the root stock.

So keep hope and wait and see...
    -Saly

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input. I think I'm going to pot them up and see how they do. Maybe through some miracle, they'll come back!

• magda
    18 years ago

It may come back from the roots.
    I generally find that it does not pay off to wait until fall with planting new plants. In our zones it is much better to plant in the spring. I know, I know, there are so many good deals around then though...:)

• gardenlove
    17 years ago

Hello!...I purchased a gorgeous Hanakisoi Pink Tree Peony last year. It was purchased by mail order and was in bloom at the time it was shipped to me(so I got it sometime in late spring)...I potted it up, and it wilted and went into shock and looked pitiful the rest of the summer...I kept it in part shade to try to protect it from the intense sun....Then I finally put it into the ground in late fall...barely alive looking:(...its stem obviously died back to at least ground level this winter...and it was NOT coming up when my other tree peonies were already showing signs of life this spring...so I was fairly sure it was a goner:(...Today, I went out to take another look at it...and low and behold...I see a sprout just starting to break the surface of the soil!!...there is HOPE!!!!!....Now, I planted it very very deeply in hopes that would protect the grafted part of this cultivar and not just the rootstock, but now I am wondering if the leaves will be able to tell me if its really Hanakisoi, or if its just the rootstock that made it? Any advise about that?...Anyway, keep waiting on Your tree Peony, as they DO surprise you!...I am so happy to see new life on mine...its a "sign" for me, and I sure am happy for that:)....GardenLove

Sponsored