Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

What is the secret to keep peonies florish for a long time?

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

This TP has survived for more than 100 years. When it was planted in 1910, the world was quite different.

Comments (8)

• stevelau1911
    9 years ago

I believe it is necessary to make sure the soil is well conditioned, and prune it in a way that will prevent breakage.

The soil can be amended with manure, compost, wood chips, or any other organic materials to make sure the roots can keep growing. Gypsum or lime can also be used as a soil conditioner.

Pruning should be done to account for the weight of the flowers.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    9 years ago

I agree with stevelau1911. With a long lasting plant like the tree peony it is very important to keep up the soil life by regular additions of compost or composted manues. Over the years the vegetative matter in the soil is consumed and must be replaced if you expect the best performance. Al

• littlebin
    9 years ago

Paeonia rockii can survive hundreds of years without fuss.
    There are many tree-like rockii aged hundreds of years in China.

• lizbest1
    9 years ago

All I can say is whoever planted and kept up the one in your picture CERTAINLY knew/knows how to do it right. WOW!

9 years ago

What is outstanding about this peony is the overall shape of the plant. This gardener knows how to prune a tree peony. Many gardeners are afraid to make the needed cuts. Al

• KarenPA_6b
    9 years ago

Do you think the bare legs are attractive? I guess a few is nice to look at but too many bare legs distract from the flowers. Also the flowers bloom on top rather than balanced throughout.

9 years ago

All of my tree peonies bloom on the ends of the stems. Too keep the plant without the bare legs showing would require a pretty short plant. I can't imagine being able to do that for 100 years. Al

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

I think the secret is just to perform minimal maintenance and otherwise leave them alone. Keep the weeds away, give them some mulch now and then, and don't worry about them. Admittedly my plants aren't a century old yet, but my oldest have been in ground for perhaps eight years or so, and they get bigger every year and are healthy. I have heavy clay soil, so the main amendment they require is organic; other soils may require added nutrients of different sorts. Also keep in mind that as the years pass trees and other shrubs may grow up and start to shade out the tree peonies, reducing their bloom. A couple of mine this year had sparse flowering and I suspect that was the problem. Most were pretty splendid, though. Mine haven't reached the point yet of requiring pruning, at least I don't think so.
    Patience is the key. Apparently this peony has been looked after for a century now; not many plants are that lucky.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists