Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peonies Vs roses

Posted by indica_ z5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 23:00

i would love to plant some roses in my peony bed. i beleive the roses are floribunda or something similiar. they ramble and only get about 4-5' high and spread all over. they would get intrusive in my regular garden but would the peonies thwart their spikey wrath?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peonies Vs roses

The problem I see is the difference in water requirements - peonies require minimal water, roses considerably more. Peony and/or rose experts might have different ideas as to whether or not this is a good pairing.

o

I did have peonies and roses in the same bed. They grew fine and seemed compatible with each other. I moved the peonies into their own bed because to me they were not an attractive combination. Neither roses or peonies require any fertilizer or spraying here and are largely pest free, so it was only they did not look good together in my opinion. Al

o

If I was mixing the two plants I would either use climbers at the back or group one type of plant at each end and the other in the middle. My preference is for the roses in the middle so you can place other plants at their roots.

If you have a peony grower in your area or can travel to one please look at the foliage along with the flower. You will have the foliage to look at longer than the flower. Some of the foliages can look really interesting. The ones with macrophyllia have hugh leaves. But there are many different types out there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here