Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

'Dead' Tree peony sprouting from the bottom

bellarosa
18 years ago

Hi all,

Okay, here's the deal - I have a 'High Noon' Tree Peony that I thought was dead 'cause there's no new growth at the top. I checked it recently and there's new growth coming from the bottom! I'm just wondering the following:

- will it bloom this year?

- and if it does, will the blooms be yellow?

- finally, what do I do with the top growth since its totally dead? Should I cut it down?

Here's a picture of the Tree Peony I'm talking about:

See the growth at the bottom on each side of it?

Comments (7)

• maifleur01
    18 years ago

The red stems almost look herbaceous. If they are you will be able to tell later this spring by comparing the leaves to a regular peony. If they are tp shoots they will be yellow when they bloom. So far the only nurse root that I have had bloom I liked better than many of the tps I have. Alas when I removed the stem with part of the root it died.

It is a shame to lose a tp of that size. You must have fed it well.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Actually, I bought the tp for my Mom around 3 years ago. It bloomed beautifully in her yard by the second year. Then my Mom moved and couldn't take the tp, so she gave it back to me. I planted it in the ground in September. I have a lot of herbaceous peonies - around 50 and counting! - but only 3 tps including this one. Anyway, I'll keep checking it to see what it does. Wish me luck!

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    18 years ago

Looks like the herbaceous root stock the TP was grafted to. I agree with maifleur though, wait to be sure. If it is the herbaceous root stock, it's not going to be yellow (those ones sell for $100+ right now). Some plain Jane cultivar, probably pink, maybe double, is my nomination.

Simon

• shudavies
    17 years ago

I'm going to 'pile on' here with my own related question. I have a tree peony with two growing woody stems, but every year it also wants to put up herbaceous growth, which I assume is probably from the rootstock. Is there any good way to permanently discourage such behavior? Is it harmful to just keep pruning the green shoots out?

• maifleur01
    17 years ago

Shudavies, not all growth is herbaceous. tps put up shoots also from below the surface. Some people even plant tps at an angle so they will form new plants. This is called layering. This year if you haven't already cut them off wait until the leaves unroll. Then check to see if are from herbaceous or tree. On another site someone mentioned that tps are generally not shiny and herbaceous are very shiny. There are exceptions to this as for everything.

If you want a tree form remove the growth if it is from the mother plant. If you want a larger shrub like plant let them grow. Each appeals it is a matter of personal likes.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's an update to the posting. I checked my tree peony yesterday and it has 2 buds! I can't wait to see if they bloom and what color they will be. I'm wondering if I should cut off the main stem of the Tree Peony since its totally dry - which I'm assuming its dead. Any advice?