Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blooms not opening

Posted by mudyfoot z 7/8 DFW (My Page) on
Fri, May 13, 05 at 0:21

I have a peony that someone gave me in a swap early this spring. I planted it in full sun with rich well drained soil. It has had several buds on it for well over a month now that don't seem to be growing or opening.
Any advice to get this thing blooming?
mudyfoot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blooms not opening

Maybe it could use some fertilization?...perhaps with a zero nitrogen formula for blooms and root growth, rather then growth of the Foliage(which is what Nitogen would do, sometimes at the expense of blooms)?...Have you had some cold snaps?..maybe thats keeping them at bay...I have a potted Peony that has two buds on it that are not opening either....but its been cold one day, very warm the next, so maybe its confused. I just fed it and will see what happens..take care...GardenLove

o

Sometimes they take a long time to open. In your case, the plant is most likely concentrating on growing roots and you may lose the buds this year.

o

There's a very good chance that those buds will never open this year because it was moved and planted at this time of year. But there is an equally good chance that they will bloom next year, assuming they are planted at the proper depth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here