Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seeds true to parent?

Posted by ceaser7 z5 NW INDIANA (My Page) on
Sun, May 3, 09 at 0:59

Hello everyone,
I just ran across a person selling seeds from a named peony. Is there any way that he can guarante that the seeds will be the same as the parent he is naming?

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seeds true to parent?

Sorry, no. The garantee that you have and this is a 100% garantee, is that *all* the seeds will give you plants that are all different from both parents and all different between themselves. This is true for seeds that come from any plant this is already an hybrid, a cross or a selfing, or that is obtained from crossing 2 different plants, hybrids or not.

The only exception to this rule is if the seeds are obtained from a cross or a selfing of identical species found in nature and if the pollination occured only among identical species.

There could be another exception that I'm not going into that involves selection of hybrids to eventually get a true to name hybrid plant from seed like what was done with echinacea "DoubleDecker", but that is very rarely done.

Laurier
My web site

o
RE: seeds true to parent?

Thank you Laurier. That's what I thought but I wanted to confirm it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here