Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange Peonies

Posted by bernergarden (My Page) on
Mon, May 18, 09 at 1:57

I am newer to Peonies and was wondering if there are any that are a true orange color. I have seen lighter orange and yellows, but would like to know if there is a brighter orange out there. If so, can you post or send me photos and the names of the variety? Thank you.

Daniel
Ohio

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange Peonies

There is a man called Harold Entsminger from Cut Bank, Montana that grows his own oranges. I have seen pictures of some of his blooms and they vary in color. I do not think you will ever see bright orange but will see orange varigations.

o

My Cora Fay is in the coral shades. Petals can vary a bit on the flowers.

Never heard of orange peonies before. Interesting that someone has bred some.

o

Here is a link to Carsten's site showing a peony that is not in commerce but has a garden name of Pixie.

Here is a link that might be useful: orange peony

o

I have true orange peonies in singles to semi-doubles some are orange with yellow edges, orange with red flairs.named bodacious orange and vivid orange e-mail me for pictures and prices at herr_old@yahoo.com

o

Oh my gosh! I would love to get my hands on an orange peony!

o

gilbert wild & sons have a coral & gold peony for 15.00 for sale right now. it's gorgeous. it's probably as close to orange as your going to get. check out their website.

o

I doubt that you will ever see a true orange in a herbaceous peony. There is no herbaceous peony that even approaches orange. It seems that yellow is the missing component in the herbaceous color range. An orange tree peony perhaps is a different story. So far every tree peony I have seen may look somewhat orange from a distance but when you closely examine the petals you find there is yellow overlayed with red or dark pink. It seems the two colors don't mix in the blossom. Most people believe that the yellow pigment exist in a different layer than red pigment. I will believe an orange peony when I see it.

Just think of the possibilities if you could just have peonies in every color in a Crayola box.

Vivid violet, Royal purple, Purple heart, Plum, Navy Blue, Midnight Blue, ... The colors go on and on and on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crayola - all the colors in the world.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here