Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve421

tree peonies advice needed

steve421
18 years ago

I have planted several tree peonies and all but one is not doing good...are there some pointers that anyone can give...how much water,...and general maintance...all advice will be appreciated

Steve

Comments (15)

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Most of what you can do for you tree peony should have been done when you planted them. They don't require a lot of TLC after that.

If you have just planted them this spring then they will definitely sulk for a while. Provide sufficient water but don't have them sitting continuously in wet soil. If the drainage is as good as it should be for these plants then it will be hard to overwater them. You might want to shade them if they wilt in the afternoons. Use a mulch.

If you planted last autumn then they should have established a decent root system and should not be suffering now. Maybe if it just got really hot they might be wilting in the afternoons. I'm guessing that full sun is too much for them in your state. Water deeply during long dry periods. And I mean long dry periods. If you did plant last autumn and they are really unhappy then you might consider that they were not planted in the right spot or the right soil.

Please describe the problems you are having in more detail. It is possible that your plants have got a disease problem, or that the roots are seriously damaged.

• steve421
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey shrubs havent seen you on the lawn forum lately and I was going to ask about you...good to see you...anyways I plantewd this spring...What I think is happening is that they are putting the energy into making the roots...I have one peony tree that is actually doing really well...I started them in containers and the 2 trees that arent doing well I thought it may be better to get them in the ground...I was probally wrong....When I replanted them they had no fine roots...except the one that was doing really well...which had quite a good root ball...I have been watering but not over watering...and up until today it has been very dry...the temps have been no higher than 90...but mainly in the lower 80's...The soil is defintilly not the ideal...mostly clay but have added mulch over the past 2 years so there is quite a bit of organic matter...I am getting ready to mulch soon...so that it wont dry out over the hottest months...will the peonies that aren't doing well make it or should I pull them up and repot them...

Thanks

Steve

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Hi Steve, I'm afraid I've been watching my grass grow instead of talking about it :) Sometimes I don't have the time or the energy to argue about points of dogma. Fear not, my grass is growing and I'm always looking to improve.

Talking about points of dogma: don't transplant tree peonies in the spring! There, I've said it, we can be friends again now :) Anyway, transplanting a bareroot peony in the spring is often fatal, the root system just can't establish and support the leaf growth. The roots really get themselves going in the autumn and well into the winter. Transplanting from a pot isn't so bad but you should expect some stress over the summer, especially if the roots weren't great to start with. They will be really drought-tolerant when they have a huge root system halfway to china, but until then not so great.

Tree peony roots are long and thick. I can't remember if there is much in the way of fine fibrous roots and I'm not about to dig one up and check. It might also depend on whether you have grafted peonies.

I wouldn't try digging them up again now, what's done is done. Protect from the afternoon sun and water deeply but not too often. A mulch would definitely be good, I add more every year.

Just out of interest, do you know if they were grafted or not? How deeply did you plant? Do you know what the soil is like two or three feet down?

• bogeyman
    18 years ago

I am thinking of planting a tree peony. This plant would be in a bed about 35 feet from my neighbour's huge black walnut. It would receive full sun for at least six hours a day. Since the plant I am looking at is quite expensive I don't want to purchase it if it will swuccumb to the black walnut. Does anyone have experience with this situation?

• steve421
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Shrubs I never have anything bad to say about your advice...you helped me out in a lot of situations and I always enjoy hearing your experience....as far as my soil...we have beautiful (lol not) loess about 20 ft deep....yup nothing but silt and clay..probally more on the clay side...after that it becomes really nice and sandy lol..please dont say I need to dig it up and regrade lol...The catalog company that we purchased them from shipped it to us in the spring...but now I know better...thanks...I am not sure if they are grafted or not...

Thanks for your advice I will remeber for next time

Steve

• peonyman
    18 years ago

Steve,
    Do you know the cultivar names of the tree peonies that you planted. And, where did you buy them. If they are japanese tree peonies from Lowes or Home depot they are grafted. If they are chinese they are probably on their own roots.

• diannp
    18 years ago

Bogeyman, I have peonies and tree peonies planted under and near black walnut trees and they all seem just fine. Of course, my three tree peonies were cheapo experiments from the farm store, so you know they were going to live. :) If I spent a lot of money on a tree peony I'd probably not plant it really close to the BW tree, but, I also have a lot of space. If you're 35 feet away from the drip line you should be fine.

Diann
    IA Z5a

• shrubs_n_bulbs
    18 years ago

Loess? That's cool. I don't know if its cool for growing peonies, but its "geologically" cool :)

• steve421
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I kind of thought youd understand shrubs lol...

• steve421
    Original Author
    18 years ago

they are Japanesse peonies from I believe Michigan Bulb Co....one that wasnt doing too good now is starting to get some leaves...the other one is not doing anything but lossing the few leaves it had....and one is really doing well....hmmm...all planted in the same spot...theyll probally be ok...thanks for all who answered

Steve

• bogeyman
    18 years ago

Thanks Diann. I planted it in an entirely different location. It is in the front of my home and will look absolutely spectacular when established. If I can find cheaper plants I will try the location in the back yard near the BW.

• gardenlove
    18 years ago

I purchased a potted Hanakisoi tree peony this spring that was barerooted and shipped to me fully leafed out with a huge bud on it ready to flower!(I know, I know...I did not pay alot for it, but sure hope I can get it to grow well for me too)....I potted it up again and removed the bud allowing it to open in a bud vase indoors(oh my...it took my breath away!...I love Hana:)....Of course with all the trauma, it went into shock and its leaves all wilted, starting to dry out on the ends. I just cut them off the plant yesterday, figuring it would be best for the plant to divert all energy into its roots. Was this the correct thing to do under the circumstances?(or have I further traumatized it?..guess I should have asked the forum first!)...I have it on a shady patio and am keeping the soil slightly moist, not watering every day, but not letting it get too dry. Its stem is still nice and green. Our weather right now is hot days and cool nights. I am just keeping it out of direct sun and wind and leaving it alone...but should I be doing anything else?..Should I be watering with B1 or Super Thrive perhaps?...It has not been long enough to know what its gonna do next...any suggestions or thoughts about what I can expect would be welcome.(and future tree peonies will be transplanted or shipped in the fall!!!!:)....Thank you for any advise..GardenLove

• kaisercl
    13 years ago

i recently transplanted my tree peony in april before i moved it it had alot of fresh stems and leaves at the base well since i moved it they are all wilted there not dead or dried out just very wilted is there anything i can do for it or is it gone thankyou

• maifleur01
    13 years ago

Wait until next year for new stems. Just allow it to rest for now. Next time start a new post rather than tagging to a much older one. That way if you have marked to have replys sent to you they will be sent to you rather than the starter of the thread.

• gingersnap
    13 years ago

...at least i think it's a "tree" peony. maybe it's just a peony. anyhow, the best i can remember is it was called a yakumo peony. if you know anything about this plant could you please share any information you might have. i have 2 - they are very little - planted in the shade. what can i do to help them survive?

Sponsored