Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming peonies

Posted by northerner_on Z5A ONCanada (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 2:49

I have been growing peonies for over 25 years in my back yard where there is lots of room, but recently (2003) moved some to my front, full sun, 2ft. wide garden. They are doing very well, tall, very floriferous, but I do have some smaller plants nearby which I would like 'seen' after the peonies bloom in mid-June. Would it hurt to trim them a bit - maybe the two outer stems on each side? Or perhaps cut them down by half right after blooming? Thank you.
Northerner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming peonies

Fine as long as you leave most of the foliage. However as the peonies expand and grow it will not be posible to do do in the future. You will need to move one or the other of the plantings for both to be seen at their glory.

o

Thank you, Maifleur. I tried to respond to you last week but the site was not functioning properly. I had a hunch that would be your answer but was hoping it would not be. My neighbour came over today with some rather long stakes (I had the shorter round wire supports) and tied them up quite high so the shading tends to be reduced. In the fall will be a good time to re-locate my other plants and let the peonies be the 'stars' of my garden. They are just so full of buds just waiting to pop open. Do you ever remove buds to promote fewer, but larger, blooms? Just wondering.

o

I don't but it would depend on what you want. By removing the buds the main bloom will be fuller. By leaving you will have a longer blooming time.

If I wanted for a special event I would probably remove the buds but personally I like the longer bloom time. Additionally if you were going to breed peonies sometimes the side buds on doubles will have pistles and stamens where the main bud does not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here