Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kyocius

Need Opinion of Experienced Peony Person

kyocius
16 years ago

Hi Everyone. Okay, I'm finally going to ask. Caution: before you read this, know that I am infatuated with peonies. I only discovered them a few years ago (I never had a sunny yard so focused on shade plants), but I have become obsessed. At times this post may seem frantic. I'm really not crazy, I promise, just passionate about peonies.

I purchased a Raspberry Sundae bareroot at the absolute wrong time of year. I received it in late March, and instead of potting it (I know I know) I put it exactly where I wanted it. I realize this will be a long wait to see if Raspberry sundae is really what it is (I'm more than willing to make that sacrifice).

The shoots have come up and its doing quite well. I've "read somewhere" that it could still go downhill because of the time of year I put it in the ground... something about too much growth the first year putting too much stress on the root system (or something I'm sure of it)... It was still quite cold here, but my other peonies already had quite large shoots at that point. Is it safe to say this peony will survive? Or did I do a bad bad thing??? Its of course planted in full sun conditions. Should it have more shade the first year? I'll stake a tent over it if I have to (I don't care what the neighbors think - my peonies are more important). Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, and sorry if I am being prematurely paranoid.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm