Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginzog

Peony not blooming

GinZog
12 years ago

Hi-can anyone provide insight on why my peony isn't blooming? It didnt have tons of blooms last yr either, but did manage a few. This year, the few buds I could find were tiny and black. Pretty sure it's not fungus b/c I've dealt with that in the past, and the plant itself appears otherwise healthy. Severe winter / cold wet spring, maybe? Also, marsh marigold grows in same spot. I can't pull that stuff up w/o destroying peons too, but did tear away at the leaves, exposing the new peony growth to more sun. Any thoughts appreciated!

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

Lack of sun is one of the main causes for light blooming. Root competition is another. I don't know why you can not weed around your peonies, but it is necessary for best performance. Al

• GinZog
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you! Suspect it's root competition since the plant's in full sun. I'll dig it up in the fall, trash the vile marsh marigold, and replant peony. Better luck next spring!

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

I've had several tree peony seeds that have germinated 2 months ago which have all put up a leaf, but the best ones are still only working on their 2nd leaf, and they don't look very vigorous. Do they need special conditions to grow well, or should I only expect a few leaves getting produced for the first year?