Return to the Peonies Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Little white bugs on dead Bernhardt roots

Posted by ninajc 6a (My Page) on
Tue, May 9, 06 at 7:52

Well, of my three Bernhardt roots planted last October, only two sprouted small leaves and then promptly died. Yesterday, I bought two Karl Rosenfelds already 18" tall and with very nice looking buds on them at our local garden center sale yesterday, and couldn't wait to plant them. When I began to dig a hole, I found the original Bernhardt roots and they were black, crumbly, and had little white bugs on them. Now, I am terrified to put my new peonies in the same place in the flower bed for fear that these bugs will infest the new ones. What do you all think? Are well established plants not as susceptible to these types of pests? Can I put Safer's insecticidal soap in the holes, would that hurt the roots of the new peonies when I plant them?

I am so frustrated! But, I did get a full refund from the catalogue which financed one of the new Rosenfelds.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Little white bugs on dead Bernhardt roots

testing since I don't see any follow-ups on recent postings.

Nina

o
RE: Little white bugs on dead Bernhardt roots

Do yourself a favor and just plant the new ones in a different spot. No sense taking a chance on putting a healthy plant back in a spot where one just like it died.

Diann
IA z5a

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Peonies Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here